There’s no doubt about it, chemical exfoliating acids – like Glycolic, Lactic, Kojic, Salicylic, Citric and Pyruvic Acids – are all the rage right now. And for good reason. These powerful ingredients are renowned for their ability to unglue dull, dead cells and other impurities that build up on skin’s surface. And without lingering debris, beneficial molecules can penetrate deeper to noticeably improve skin texture, repair past damage, boost collagen, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Ultimately, building the skin’s resilience.
That said, Acid use can be tricky to navigate.
Start a new acid treatment and you may experience some unfamiliar sensations.
For instance, when introducing a Glycolic Acid treatment into a routine, like our cult favourite Liquid Gold which has 5% Glycolic Acid, you’ll likely feel a mild, but perfectly safe tingle.
You can even experience such symptoms when levelling up to stronger potency acids – like our Beauty Sleep Power Peel with 15% Glycolic and 5% Lactic Acids.
This activity is actually a sign that the accelerating acids are getting to work, rebooting the skin from within, stimulating its self-correcting ability and pushing it to work harder to improve its health and resilience. The reaction is only temporary, and here’s where the importance of commitment comes in. Embrace the initial tingle and stick with the changes that occur, and our Accelerating Acids will totally transform your skin revealing a healthier, smoother, brighter, more glowing complexion.
- Introducing your skin to a new acid treatment gradually. For instance, use Liquid Gold every third or fourth evening vs. the suggested every other evening.
- Whilst our exfoliating acids perform optimally when unadulterated (used without other products), when introducing new Acids to your routine, you can ‘buffer’ them by applying a gentle moisturiser afterwards to begin with – this buffers the pH slightly, slowing the delivery into the skin.
- Be sure to start your routine with a gentle, pH balanced cleanser to support your skin’s acid mantle and respect the skin’s naturally occurring pH balance.
- Wear a sunscreen every day (this is a non-negotiable in skincare, and not only for new acid users, for everyone)
Not all acids are created equal
Many other acid treatments are formulated at a pH that is close to the skin’s naturally occurring level or even higher to reduce any chance of temporary discomfort. So, long before they ever reach your skin, they are neutralized or buffered, lowering their efficacy and ability to penetrate the skin and get to where they can work the hardest. Alpha-H’s Accelerating Acids are formulated in the most bioavailable, free acid form at the lowest pH possible to keep them potent – and protected against irritating reactions. So even acid-newbies can enjoy the benefits without worry.
Bioavailability is the key to the Alpha-H difference – it refers to the amount of un-neutralised acid available in a formula that your skin can actually absorb and use. Our Accelerating Acids feature a unique low pH delivery system to ensure rapid and effective penetration, making them active and efficacious. This is why we see visible, measurable results in the skin.
In addition to our signature actives, we feature our Accelerating Acid treatments in rounded formulas with soothing and skin fortifying antioxidants and botanical ingredients, to preserve and respect the integrity of the skin, helping to minimise any associated downtime.
- Liquid Gold pH 2.8 – 3.0 | With 5% Glycolic Acid
- Micro Super Scrub pH 3.5 – 4.0 | With 12% Glycolic Acid
- Liquid Gold Firming Eye Cream pH 5.0 – 5.5 | With Lime Pearl AHAs
- Clear Skin Tonic pH 3.6 - 4.0 | With 2% Salicylic Acid (BHA)
- Instant Action BHA Blemish Treatment | With 2% Salicylic Acid and 4% Niacinamide
- Beauty Sleep Power Peel | With 14% Glycolic Acid and 0.5% Retinol
Unsure if which products are right for you? Chat to one of our qualified Skin Specialists via Live Chat or Email, to find your bespoke routine tailored to your individual needs.
- Tags: Skin Science